Cats deserve your special care and attention, and this is exactly why you can’t help pampering them! Once in a while, you purchase cat treats to show your affection. However, when you get these treats, you might be concerned about your pet getting obese. Therefore, it makes sense to know what you are feeding your cat.
To help you choose the best cat treats, here’s a short guide to help you. Of course, some treats are less harmful than others to your cat. With the right approach, you can keep away toxic ingredients from affecting your pet.
Choosing the right cat treat: How to go about it?
Before purchasing a cat treat for your pet, scan the ingredient list. Here are some aspects that call for attention.
- Avoid labeled meats: Considering the quality of meat, it’s wise not to purchase any food that contains ‘freeze-dried chicken’. If you find this to be the first ingredient, avoid such food.
- Go for natural ingredients: Adding artificial ingredients might enhance the taste of cat food. However, artificial flavors and colors can be detrimental to the health of your cats. Go for cat treats that contain natural preservatives. This would keep the food fresh for a longer time.
- Fewer ingredients are better: A few healthy ingredients in the cat treat might be better than a whole lot. Get across to a reputed cat food brand to purchase healthy treats with the right ingredients.
- Domestic sourcing: It makes sense to purchase the food from manufacturers that source high-value ingredients and meat locally. This implies that the treats would be fresher, and therefore, healthier for your pet.
- Get low-calorie food: Obesity affects cats faster than you might think. Check out the caloric value of the treat before purchasing them. Tasty and low-calorie cat treats would suit your pet.
If you are not sure which treats to purchase for your cat, reach out to your vet. Considering the ingredient list, you can choose the right packages online from a reputed cat food manufacturer.
Thinks to avoid in your cat treats
Avoid sugars and carbs when you get cat treats online for your pet. Food rich in sugars and carbohydrates proves unhealthy to cats. It would ultimately lead to obesity. Instead, check out the ingredient list and settle for treats with natural ingredients and quality meat.
Also, closely monitor the size or portion of the treats. They shouldn’t exceed 10% of the diet of your pet. You might reserve these treats for special occasions like training. Cats need healthy food beyond these treats.
What to include in cat treats?
Concerned cat owners should know what they feed their pets through these treats. Closely monitor the list of ingredients when you shop for these products. Natural and high-quality ingredients make them valuable to your cats. Therefore, check out for branded cat treats that contain a healthy source of protein like chicken or salmon. Ultimately, they are carnivores, so you cannot simply overlook the proper nutritional content in their food.
With proper treats, you can complement the nutritional value they get through their food. Some treats can help cats enhance their dental and oral health. If they are experiencing plaque and tartar, get proper treats to mitigate these issues. Besides, some treats reduce hairball problems and litter box odor in cats.
It would be wise to check out the ingredient list in the online portals when you scan through different cat treats. With an extensive range of cat food products available, it’s easy to find the recommendation of your veterinarian.